1.25.2010

monday morning music : thirteen.

Good morning! Did any of you happen to get some sun over the weekend? Portland was terribly dreary and rainy as per usual this time of year, which means I wasn't in the best of moods. Today, though, there is a bit of sun shining through the clouds and I got a whole lot of sleep, so let's hope for a good start of the week.

Whenever winter hits full-force, all happy/uplifting music seems to get ignored by me and I tend to stick with beautiful, yet rather sad songs on repeat. And really, who does it better than Elliott Smith (whose early death magnified just how sad his songs were)? I remember watching this performance, a cover of the song "Thirteen" by Big Star, on a videotape many years ago and found it so very beautiful and almost haunting- I just have to share (plus, it includes snippets of rainy Portland, which just seems fitting.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh Elliot. His music moves me in so many ways. I wish I would have been able to see him live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this! I've lost touch with most of my Elliott Smith collection but this was one of my favorite songs he recorded. I used to listen to it on repeat, it really was great to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I was listening to so much Elliot yesterday while it was pouring. Very fitting, indeed. Such a bittersweet feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first comment exactly echoes my own sentiments. Thanks for this video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favorite elliot smith song ever. my husband and I actually had this as our first dance song at our wedding.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...